What is Baccarat?
Baccarat is card game where you have 2 or 3 cards. To win bet on the person with the cards with the higher score. It really is that simple. The game Baccarat does not require any skill or any strategy it is simply a game of chance. You just rely on the cards that you have been dealt.
Although there are actually different versions of Baccarat. There’s Punto Banco, Mini-Baccarat, and Chemin de Fer.
Baccarat is also called “punto banco.” This is the traditional, high roller version of the game. You play at a big table in a special, roped-off part of the casino. Punto banco is kept separate from the other casino games, usually.
This is for lower stakes players. This is basically just a smaller scale version of Baccarat. All the rules is the same. The biggest difference is in terms of stakes. The minimum bets are lower at a mini-baccarat game. The table is smaller and accommodates fewer players, too.
Chemin de Fer
Chemin de fer is an older variation of baccarat which is mean to be faster than the original game. The reasoning for the name is that it is French for “railway,” which used to be the fastest way to travel.
How to Play Baccarat?
In a traditional casino setting, of course first you have to sit down at a baccarat table and then buy some chips. If you want to play Baccarat through an online casino then you have to look for an online casino that fits you best and then register so that you could deposit money you could use to bet. Now that’s out of the way, onto playing the game itself.
Baccarat is actually comparable to Blackjack. The cards have given values. So numbered cards are worth whatever number they have. Now with face cards and Aces this is where Baccarat and Blackjack differs. For face cards, these are the jacks, queens, and kings. They are worth 0. For Aces they are worth 1. The values of the cards is the basic thing that you have to remember first.
Now this is where the betting starts, you can either bet on one of two hands. Either the banker or the player. You can also bet on a tie. Although, just a tip, betting a tie is known to be the least possible outcome. It is still best to just choose between the banker or the player.
The player and the banker will both get 2 cards in the beginning. Each hand is scored with a total of between 0 to 9. To get the point total just add the value of each card in a hand. If you end up with a total above 10 just remove the 1 and that’s your total. So you end up with a 12, that’s just a total of 2.
To determine if a hand gets dealt a third card you have to look at both hands if any has a “natural”. Natural means the total point is either a 8 or a 9. If either the player or the banker has a natural, neither hand will get an extra card.
Then if the player’s hand has a point total of 6 or 7, the hand stands. If the player’s hand has a point total of 5 or lower, that player gets an additional card.
And if the player’s hand stood with a 6 or 7, the banker takes an additional card if the banker’s point total is 5 or lower but if the banker has a 6 or 7, the banker’s hand stands.
Now getting a 3rd card is where Baccarat gets a little confusing or complicated but it will be easy to follow once you know all the rules.
These are the actions of the banker if the player draws a 3rd card:
- If the dealer has a 7 or better, the dealer hand stands.
- If the dealer has a 6, the hand stands unless the player has a 6 or 7, in which case the dealer gets a 3rd card.
- If the dealer has a 5, the dealer draws with a total of 4, 5, 6, or 7. Otherwise the hand stands.
- If the dealer has a 4, the dealer draws with a total of 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7. Otherwise the hand stands.
- If the dealer has a 3, the hand only stands if the player total is 8. Otherwise, the hand draws a 3rd card.
- If the dealer has a 2, 1, or 0, the hand always gets another card.
If you still find it complicated or confusing, it’s okay it actually doesn’t matter because it’s the banker who does all this in this part. It doesn’t affect as much with betting. The decision for who’s winning is still the same, it’s still the player with the highest score.
In case both hands have the same total, that means it’s a tie or a “push”.
As for winnings, If you bet on the player it pays off at even money. For example, if you bet $100 on the player to win, you win $100. If you bet on the banker it pays off at 19 to 20 odds. The means, for example, if you bet $100 on the banker to win you will win $95. Think of it as paying 5% for commission. A tie on the other hand pays off at 8 to 1. Which means if you bet $100 on the tie, you get $800. It is a big pay off because the odds of it happening is slim. so bet wisely!
Baccarat is a nice game to play if you don’t want to bother thinking about strategies and if you want to play where skills isn’t needed. It’s just such a nice, fun, and enjoyable game. It’s also easy to learn so it’s perfect for those who doesn’t have a lot of experience in gambling.
All in all, just by playing the game you’ll get the glimpse of how it goes, it’s easy to catch on when you start playing. Anyway it’s about luck anyway! No need for brain wracking. There’s no important strategies to learn. Just don’t be scared and just follow your instincts.
Although here is a tip that may help you get the most out of baccarat: the best bet is putting your money on the banker. It’s known to be the best odds. Even if you bet on the player from time to time, maybe because of hunch, you’ll still be doing alright.
Here is a quick recap of the important rules of the game Baccarat.
- Face cards are worth 0.
- Aces are worth 1.
- Numbered cards are worth whatever the number is on the card.
- If you end up with a point total of 10 or above just remove the 1 and that’s your total.
- A natural is when the point total of the hand is either 8 or 9.
- If either the player and banker has a natural neither will get a 3rd card.
- if the player has a point total is 6 or 7 the hand stands.
- if the player has a point total of 5 or lower the player gets an additional card.
- if the player’s hand has a point total of 6 or 7, the hand stands. If the player’s hand has a point total of 5 or lower, that player gets an additional card.
- if the player’s hand stood with a 6 or 7, the banker takes an additional card if the banker’s point total is 5 or lower but if the banker has a 6 or 7, the banker’s hand stands.
- A push is a tie.
- If you bet on the player to win you it pays off even money.
- If you bet on the banker to win it pays off 19 to 20.
- If you bet on a tie it pays off 8 to 1.
Try Baccarat and enjoy! It’s a great game.